It’s Canada Day tomorrow, and we all get a day off to show some love to this AWESOME country we are supremely fortunate to call home! Woo Hoo! So in honour of Canada’s Birthday, here are 14 unique traits that I believe separate us Canucks from the other countries and cultures in and around the world; some are good, some not-so-good, and some are just, well… Canadian.
Regards of whichever they are, one thing is for sure… They are all as 100% Canadian as Beavers, Maple Syrup, Flannel Shirts and (# 14) Bob and Doug MacKenzie! Enjoy!
14 Uniquely Canadian Things
1) Tim Bits, Kraft Dinner, Back Bacon and Poutine are considered “Food Groups” and are all important parts of any self-respecting Canadian’s diet
2 ) Whenever we go to the fights, chances are good that a hockey game will break out… no, really – it might happen at any time
3) We consider -5 degrees (celsius of course) “a little bit chilly” and usually take this as a sign to stop wearing our shorts – outside at least
4) No matter where you live in Canada, there are always 4 distinct seasons, without fail: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Road Construction
5) Our citizens demand FREE health care, then complain (after having a free hip-replacement surgery or such) that we pay “way too much” in taxes, and go cross-border shopping in the states for milk, bread and gas to make up the difference
6 ) Canadians know that Mounties “Don’t always look like that”, and that they also don’t all look like Paul Gross; no really, they don’t, and they don’t
7) We know that any beer with less than 6% fall into 3 categories: Light Beer, American Beer, or Beers for “Children and the Elderly”; let’s just call them all what they really are – American piss
8) We DON’T eat candy bars or drink soda; however we DO eat chocolate bars and drink pop… usually with rye whisky
9) Unlike our neighbours to the south, we are welcome almost any place in the world, and greeted with open arms by most cultures and countries because of our stellar international reputation… let’s face it, we Canadians are a “nice and polite” bunch!
10) We do say “Eh” a lot; it’s our way to get concurrence… makes sense, eh? I thought so!
11) We like to add a “u” to a lot of our words to mess up Americans… words like “colour”, “honour” and “harbour”… see? I bet they are going crazy already! SPELLCHECK! SPELLCHECK!
12) Our heritage buildings aren’t considered local landmarks – our Tim Hortons stores are! Canadians have priorities you know…
13) We’ve built majestic hotels in the middle of the Rocky Mountains; because as Cornelius Van Horne said: “If we can’t export the scenery, we’ll import the tourists” and so he did. And all I can say is “Wow”…
14) And no list about Canada would be complete without mentioning these guys:
So that’s it! All good Canadian Content! I say we should all be proud, grateful and thankful to live in this great big, quirky, whacky, beautiful, loving country and nation of ours; and if you don’t believe me, just take one look at the global headlines and you’ll know that Canada truly is “The land of the free”! Now go out and enjoy a great day off doing Canadian things, and have a great holiday with your family and friends – I know that’s what I’m going to do!
HAPPY CANADA DAY Everyone!
~ Fish OUT!